White Horse Housing Association Ltd
New Emergency repairs out of hours call:07964 034354

How you may make Improvements to your Home

Making Improvements to your Home

Tenants of the Association have rights to improve their homes. The Association encourages such initiatives on the part of tenants. Permission must be sought, however, before any improvements—other than internal decoration—are carried out.

Before making a formal application to the Association, you should consider carefully the type of improvement you want to make. If you need any advice a staff member will be pleased to discuss your proposals with you.

Next, you will need to write a letter requesting permission to carry out the improvement. The Association will need to see full details, for example planned layout of kitchen units and the details of the contractor carrying out the works.

Planning permission and Building Regulations approval may be needed for some home improvements, e.g. any alteration or addition to the building itself. Check with the Local Authority. If the Association gives you permission you will be responsible for applying for these approvals yourself.

Permission will not be unreasonably withheld. Reasons for refusal may include if we consider the alterations would make the property unsafe, reduce its value, reduce parking spaces or affect its size. We will also consider the impact on your neighbours and the environment. You will receive permission in writing, but there maybe certain conditions attached. If your request is refused, we will endeavour to give you a full explanation of the reasons for refusal.

Compensation for Improvements

In certain circumstances, at the end of your tenancy, you may be entitled to claim compensation for certain types of improvements which you have paid for. However, you must have followed the special procedure detailed below and you may not remove any fixtures and fittings installed as part of the improvement.

Compensation will only be payable if the improvement was registered as qualifying when the written permission to carry out the improvement was granted to you.

  • You will need to apply in writing to the Association.
  • You must submit three estimates from bona fide contractors, with an explanation of your reason for choosing a particular quote.
  • If your application is successful you will receive written permission, stating this is a qualifying improvement.

Compensation is only payable at the end of the tenancy and will not be the full amount which you paid to the contractor, as it will be depreciated over the notional life of the improvement.

Compensation would not be paid if the tenancy is ended through a possession claim and will be offset against any monies owed to the Association.

List of Improvements which may qualify for compensation & the notional life of Improvement

Installation of shower 12 years
Installation of additional hand basin 12 years
Installation of additional WC 12 years
Replacement of kitchen units 10 years
Installation of additional space heating 12 years
Installation of additional loft insulation 20 years
Installation of cavity wall insulation 20 years
Draught proofing of external doors or windows 8 years
Double glazing or other external window replacement or secondary glazing 20 years
Rewiring or the provision of power and lighting or other electrical fittings 15 years

If you have any queries about improvements, please contact the Association for further advice.



building and managing homes in villages throughout Wiltshire, Swindon and surrounding areas
Copyright © 2024 White Horse Housing Association Ltd  |  All Rights Reserved
White Horse Housing Association Ltd
Lowbourne House
Lowbourne Road
SN12 7DZ

Telephone: 01380 850916
Email: info@whitehorsehousing.co.uk